Dog food Acana is one of the most popular brands in the "ru-sector" and Europe. The range of Acana feeds is wide enough to meet the needs of pets of different ages and sizes. There are four main lines of Acana Classics, Heritage, Regionals For Dogs, Singles. The composition of Acana food varies according to line and destination.
Manufacturer and official website
Acana is a brand with a special philosophy. Feed can vary in composition and properties, but they are all made according to the same principles. An approximate translation of the slogan Acana is as follows: regardless of origin, carnivores must eat meat, however, each of them is individual and these needs must be taken into account.
Canadian manufacturer Champion PetFoods is a company that produces two brands of feed Orijen and Acana. Both feed manufacturers present as biologically relevant to the needs of dogs and cats. The manufacturer and the official website (//www.acana.ru/) present their feed openly, with clear presentations.
Note! Acana is a super premium food.
Acana Feed Range
Acana Dog's range of feeds consists of four ranges, each of which takes into account the individual needs of the pets.
The main series:
- Acana Classics - standard daily rations.
- Acana Heritage is the widest range of feeds for individual needs.
- Acana puppy food: Puppy Small Breed, Puppy & Junior, Puppy Large Breed.
- Adult Small Breed and Adult Large Breed - feeds for small and large adult dogs.
- Acana Senior Dog - food for elderly dogs.
- Acana Regionals For Dogs - these are the "flagships", distinguished by a variety of composition.
In relation to the composition, Acana has such a philosophy: from general to particular. That is, the basic composition of the feed line is similar, but the proportions of ingredients and additives are different. Let's take a closer look.
Acana Classics line - approximately 50% of meat is contained in all feeds. Another third are cereals. The rest of the feed is vegetables, fruits, herbs, and additives.
Range of Classics line:
- Prairie Poultry - food based on fresh meat of chicken and turkey, chicken eggs, oats. The diet contains fatty amino acids.
- Wild Coast - food based on fresh ocean fish and oats.
The Classics line is designed for everyday feeding of dogs with medium activity and for pets that are switching from natural to industrial feed. The meat content in the line is lower than in other Acana products, which reduces the risk of an allergic reaction.
Acana Heritage - a line for puppies and adult dogs of different breeds. Feed contains up to 70% of fresh meat, vegetables and fruits.
Acana Heritage product line:
- Adult Large Breed - food for adults, large dogs. Up to 60% of the feed consists of fresh meat and offal of chicken, fillet of herring and flounder.
- Adult Small Breed - food for adults, small dogs weighing up to 9 kg. Up to 60% of the feed consists of fresh meat and offal of chicken, turkey and flounder. The composition of the feed includes fruits, vegetables and berries.
- Light & Fit is a daily food for dogs that are overweight or overweight. The composition is based on fresh meat and offal of turkey, chicken, herring, flounder and chicken egg.
- Senior Dog is an everyday food for older dogs. The diet is designed with the risk of increasing blood sugar levels. The basis of the feed is meat and offal of chicken, turkey, chicken eggs. According to the manufacturer, the feed does not contain cereals.
- Sport & Agility - daily food for active, sports, service and working dogs. The basis of the diet is meat and offal of chicken, flounder and herring.
- Adult Dog is a versatile, everyday food. The diet is based on chicken and turkey meat, offal, herring, chicken eggs.
- Puppy & Junior is an everyday food for puppies and growing dogs. The main components: meat and offal of chicken, turkey, flounder, whole eggs, vegetables, fruits. In the Puppy & Junior line, the feed is divided by the size of the dog: Large Breed for large and Small Breed for small breeds.
At first glance, it may seem that the feed line is the same, but it is not. The diets vary in the ratio of ingredients, calories and guaranteed rates.
Acana Regionals For Dogs
Acana Regionals For Dogs is the best line containing up to 70% fresh meat. The manufacturer presents the products as the "gold standard" of the ration for pets.
Range of Acana Regionals For Dogs:
- Grasslands - food based on fresh lamb, duck, chicken eggs and fresh fish.
- Pacifica - food based on fresh herring, sardine, flounder, hake and perch.
- Wild Prairie - food based on fresh meat of chicken, turkey, chicken eggs and fish.
Note! Acana Regionals For Dogs has a reduced carbohydrate content in all feeds due to its high meat content.
Acana Singles - a series of feeds based on one type of meat. Such products are indispensable if the dog has digestive problems or allergies. If the dog is healthy, the food can be alternated, since their nutritional value is approximately the same. The line includes feed based on pork, lamb, lamb and fish.
- Free-Run Duck - feed based on fresh duck and offal, pear, pumpkin. Fatty but not allergenic meat is a great source of protein. The diet is suitable for pets with sensitive digestion.
- Grass-Fed Lamb - food based on fresh meat and offal of New Zealand lamb, apples, pumpkin. The food is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion or food allergies.
- Pacific Pilchard - Sardine-based food. The products are suitable for allergy sufferers, pets suffering from digestive sensitivity and fastidious dogs.
- Yorkshire Pork is a meat and offal based feed for piglets grown in Yorkshire.
Acana Singles feed contains up to 50% of meat products. To supplement the composition, vegetables and fruits are present in the feed. The biggest advantage of the line is the absence of chicken and eggs in the feed, because it is on them that the dog develops an allergy.
Acana Feed Composition
Consider the composition of food Acana on the example of the daily diet Adult Dog. Thesis presentation from the manufacturer:
- Proteins 60% of the composition - chicken meat grown in natural conditions, fresh flounder and chicken eggs from laying hens on a free pasture.
- Fruits and vegetables 40% composition.
- The food does not contain cereals and potatoes.
Note! Many people believe that only a holost of feed can be grainless, using Acana as an example we can see the opposite.
Feed is packaged by:
- 340 g
- 2 kg
- 6 kg
- 11.4 kg
- 17 kg
The presence of different packaging is always a plus. When you take food for a sample, you need to count on a period of two days to two weeks. Depending on the size of the dog, you can choose a convenient packaging and not worry that overpay if the feed does not fit.
- Fresh boneless chicken meat 11% - plus in the use of fillet, minus in that, when processed, the meat volume will decrease by 2/3.
- Dehydrated chicken and turkey meat at 10% - usually made from meat, bones and cartilage.
- Red lentils, green peas, green beans - a vegetable source of protein.
- Fresh chicken entrails (liver, heart, kidneys) 6% - a source of fats and essential amino acids.
- Dehydrated Atlantic herring meat 5% is a source of protein and minerals.
- 5% chicken fat is a source of fatty amino acids.
- Green lentils, yellow peas - a source of protein of plant origin.
- Fresh 4% whole eggs are a source of proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals.
- Fresh whole flounder 4% is a source of protein and carbohydrates.
- Herring oil 3% is a source of fats and amino acids.
- Alfalfa, fiber from peas - sources of coarse fibers, are extremely important for proper digestion.
- Fresh chicken cartilage 2% is a source of chondroitin, gelatin, minerals.
- Brown algae are a source of minerals and coarse fibers.
- Table and nutmeg pumpkin is a very useful ingredient, a rich source of vitamins, coarse fibers.
- Parsnip, cabbage, spinach, mustard leaves, turnip greens, carrots, apples, pears are sources of vitamins and coarse fibers.
- Freeze-dried chicken liver, turkeys - natural preservatives, sources of fats and vitamins.
- Cranberries, blueberries are sources of vitamins.
- The root of chicory, turmeric, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender flowers, marshmallow root, rose hips.
- Probiotic Enterococcus faecium.
The composition is impressive, in a good way. Many owners trust only short compositions and this makes sense. The composition of Acana is impressive, but it contains not only a list, but also a percentage of the ingredients. The components are not "doubled", spelled out for sure - this is very good.
- Carbohydrates 30% - the norm.
- Protein 29% is the norm.
- Fat 17% - slightly above normal - good.
- Fiber 5% - slightly above normal - good.
- Humidity 12% - slightly above normal - bad.
- 351 kcal per 100 grams - slightly below the norm, by generally accepted standards of a super-premium class.
All in all, great everyday food. I am glad about the openness of the manufacturer, who is not trying to "embellish" the composition of the feed in vague formulations. The percentage of the main ingredients is prescribed, which is also very good.
Advantages and disadvantages of Acana feed
Let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of Acana feed. Let's start with the pros:
- Natural sources of animal protein.
- An indication of the percentage of the main ingredients is the openness of the manufacturer.
- There is no grain in the composition!
- As part of there is no beet pulp, it is very often found in super-premium feed.
- Natural preservatives that are clearly indicated in the composition.
- An excellent, dog-oriented assortment.
Acana has only one minus - the price. Compared to its competitors, Acana is more expensive. However, in almost all super-premium feeds there are cereals, sometimes even corn is found. The increased meat content and brand popularity explains the high price.
Acana Feed Findings
What conclusions can be made about Acana feed based on theoretical data? Acana is one of the most famous and respected brands of super-premium feed, which affects the price of products. In addition to high cost, there are no tangible minuses in the product.
Judging by the reviews on the dog owners forums, Acana is very much in demand. The impressions of beginners and experienced "eaters" are more positive.