The operation itself is not as complicated as the owners of the pets imagine. Castration is the safest surgical procedure. Cats become more obedient, docile, cease to mark territory, the smell of urine loses its stench. Nevertheless, castration has small negative consequences, you need to be prepared for them. For example, sometimes a cat vomits after castration.
The operation occurs by surgery, under general anesthesiabut there are also chemical castration methods. To have less unpleasant consequences and stress, you need to prepare the cat for castration.
How to cook a cat?
Principles of preparation for surgery:
- It is necessary to conduct an examination with a veterinarian, listen to his recommendations in consultation. You should make sure that there are no contraindications to the operation, the animal is completely healthy. It is necessary to pass an analysis of urine, blood, feces. Contraindications are: cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, blood pathologies, urolithiasis, inflammatory diseases of the genital organs.
- If never done graft cat or last vaccination occurred more than a year ago. For surgery, a month before the operation, vaccination must be done. This is necessary because after the surgical procedure, a weakened body is prone to infection with viral and bacterial infections.
- For the same purpose, deworming. It must be done 1-2 weeks before vaccination. In addition, fleas and other blood-sucking parasites must be removed. The meaning of the procedure is the same: after the operation, the susceptibility to diseases will increase and the condition of the pet may worsen.
- Depending on what time you were scheduled for surgery, you should take a starvation diet. If in the first half of the day, then the animal does not need to be fed in the evening, usually in 12 hours, that is, the last time you can feed at 18:00. This applies to water to a lesser extent, but it is better not to drink the cat 5-7 hours before surgery. Otherwise, the cat will vomit after castration or directly during the operation itself. This is dangerous, because in a dream all motor and state-controlling mechanisms are disabled, so the cat can choke on bile.
- If you notice in your pet an increase in the excitability of character and nervousness, then you need to see a doctor, tell about the behavior, the veterinarian will examine the pet. It is necessary to make sure that the animal is not a cryptorch, since in this case the operation must be carried out somewhat differently. All this needs to be known in advance.
Caring for the cat after surgery
When the cat wakes up from anesthesia after a successful operation, he can be taken home. A caring owner should know how to provide comfort to the pet so that recovery after removal of the testes from the cat is quick and painless.
To create comfortable conditions, you must perform the following steps:
- Prepare a warm, comfortable place, protected from bright sunlight and drafts. Spread clean, soft, ironed cotton. If the pet experiences chills, then in such a secluded corner it will be easier for him to cope with discomfort.
- A temporary rookery must be placed on the floor. The reasons are quite simple - after anesthesia, the animal shows inhibition, impaired coordination of movements.
- Pay special attention to the tray. Familiar fillers can lead to bad consequences: clog the postoperative site, injure the suture. It is recommended to cover the tray with soft toilet paper or pharmacy diapers. Frequent timely cleaning of the cat's toilet is required.
- Take care of your purchase at a pet store in advance plastic collar. To accelerate wound healing from castration, the suture must remain dry. A special cone will not make it possible to lick a sore spot and prevent complications and infection after surgery.
Cat vomiting as a postoperative complication
Each animal individually, how the body will behave after castration is unknown to an experienced veterinarian. Sometimes, even with proper care, postoperative complications occur on the first day. One of these negative manifestations is vomiting. If the animal has already moved away from anesthesia, then there will be no problems, but if the cat still cannot stand up, then he needs help.
If the cat is sick, it is necessary to check that the pet is not choked with vomit. In case of slight vomiting, turn the animal's head to its side, thereby eliminating the likelihood of vomiting in the respiratory tract. If vomiting is severe, it is necessary to call a veterinarian.
Within 2 days, cats may show weakness, lack of appetite, and fever. These symptoms are the norm after surgery. In cases of a drop in temperature below 37 ° or an increase in temperature above 39 °, as well as persistence of the above symptoms for 2-3 days, you should contact a veterinary clinic.
When castrating a cat, some negative consequences are possible, for which you need to be prepared and know what to do:
- Vomiting in some cases is considered a consequence of anesthesia., including in the absence of preparation for surgical intervention. If the vomit is not abundant, you just need to control the process so that the pet does not choke.
- Also sometimes there is an increase in temperature, lethargy and weakness. This situation is natural, especially in the first time after surgery and within 2 days after. But with fever (from 39 ° C) more than 1-2 days after castration, you should immediately consult a veterinarian.
- Internal bleeding in the scrotum. It is evidenced by the swelling of the scrotum, the accumulation of blood in it, which is easily felt. It is observed only when doctors sewed up surgical wounds. Typically, internal bleeding is very dangerous due to the fact that it is impossible to assess the condition of the pet. If the cat has weakness, pallor of the mucous membranes, then you should immediately consult a veterinarian.
- Wound infection. Redness of the skin, the presence of puffiness, pathological exudate from the wound (green, yellow, white, thick consistency, with an unpleasant odor) - all this indicates an infection, you must consult a doctor. The presence of small red spots and a small swelling can also indicate an infectious disease, it is better not to take risks and consult.
- Obesity is the most common problem. After castration, a cat needs 25-30% fewer calories. In this case, the pet will require more food than he really needs. So the owner has the responsibility to regulate the diet of the animal. It is recommended to purchase special food for neutered cats or switch to natural food. All this must be done after removing the suture and healing of the surgical wound.