Cohabitation with a four-legged friend is an unconditional responsibility, both for the health of the ward, and for his actions. Unfortunately, many dogs become "parasites" for their owner, more precisely, for his comfortable environment. Three standard reasons not to start a dog - it nibbles things, makes puddles, you need to walk. But all problems are solvable, let's figure out how to wean a dog from chewing things, since absolutely all newly made four-legged parents face this inconvenience.
Important! Many owners feel sorry for their pet, believing that gnawed things are a compensation for the puppy's fears and loneliness. This hypothesis has long been refuted by experiments, the reason lies in boredom, interest, lack of education, but not in fear. Little robbers (often) are eagerly awaiting the owner's departure to tackle their "dirty deeds."
Why does a dog bite on non-edible items?
But really, why? Nature is smarter than all people put together, every living creature is able to distinguish between poison and an inedible object from food, so what is such a strange addiction based on? If you want to wean a dog from chewing everything, find out what exactly she is trying to tell you:
- I know the world - applies to puppies aged 8-12 weeks. The kid tries everything he finds on the tooth and this is normal. Even for young children it’s normal to lick everything in a row. In such a simple way sensory develops, that is, the ability to sense the environment. Your task is to protect the baby by hiding the wires, small objects (especially children's toys, designed for ages 5-6 years old), any little things that the puppy is able to swallow whole. Valuable things also need to be taken away, at this age, the puppy does not understand that these expensive watches with a delicious strap are valuable - this is a shiny, cold and unusual toy.
- I relieve discomfort - puppies aged 4-7 months are experiencing a change in milk teeth. Itching of the gums, uncomfortable feeling and not stopping. When chewing teeth are cut, tolerable pain is added to the general discomfort. Chewing non-edible items helps the four-legged one get distracted and scratch in hard-to-reach places. Most often, slippers, wires, furniture legs and floor coverings (carpets, linoleum) go to expense. Do not even try to wean a puppy from biting at this age, the only alternative is to distract the "pest" with permitted toys and special treats.
- I have worms or a stomach ache - in the warm season, dogs eat and burp grass (in extreme cases chewed branches), this is a natural cleaning of the stomach and intestines. What to do a puppy that is quarantined or born in the fall? That's right - to chew, swallow and burp everything that contains cellulose. Under the blow wallpaper, wooden objects, doors and a favorite delicacy - toilet paper. The need for prevention of worms is not worth talking about, the procedure is carried out every 3-4 months. Grass can be grown at home, and if you don’t like the land work, you can buy special treats at the pet store.
- I have indigestion and weak intestinal microflora - A newborn puppy sucks mother's colostrum. This valuable product contains a large number of lactobacilli (lactic acid) and microorganisms (probiotics) useful for digestion. If the puppy has not received the mother’s milk, has been ill or undergone treatment, and the microflora has partially died, the baby has a desire to eat (namely, chew and swallow) items that are unfit for food. More often than not, items made from natural materials, food waste and feces are on the dog’s menu.
- I have vitamin deficiency - in this case, the ward can shock you with his non-standard behavior. A dog gnawing a wall, eating stones and earth, wallpaper and paint, an office, pyrotechnics (contains gunpowder), household waste, carrion, licking whitewash, chewing leather shoes with appetite. Broken teeth, an unpleasant smell from the mouth, a constant upset stomach, not a small material damage and ultimately poisoning are the minimal consequences of vitamin deficiency. If you notice that the dog is interested in non-edible items or obviously spoiled food - immediately introduce complex vitamins and minerals into the diet. Further, observing the behavior of the pet, adjust the dosage.
- I'm bored - a puppy or adult dog should have toys that can be nibbled - this is not specified. In the absence of the owner, the four-legged either sleeps or is entertained to the best of his ability. If there are no permitted toys, then the sofa and pillows lying on it can be a good alternative.
Note! Dogs drinking alcohol - this is not a funny sight, but a signal to a lack of vitamin D and sugars in the pet's body. Alcohol in any quantity and form is pure poison for the dog (and for humans too).
Behavior Correction Methods
It was possible to establish and eradicate the cause of incorrect behavior, but the dog still continue to bite your stuff? You may be a little late, and the previously allowed action has already become a habit. Now the pet does not understand the causes of your disorder, it then acts as usual. Proper education is a complex that is applied from the first day of the life of the caudate in your home. Try not to "dissolve" the puppy, so as not to deal with the consequences, if problems arose, one of the following methods will help:
- Do not punish an already committed act - to shame the puppy when he is caught on the hot - the procedure is mandatory, but if you find a spoiled slipper, coming home from work - time is lost. Hide the shoe shelf and other objects that the dog may bite out of reach. Wires are hidden in special tunnels. You understand that chewing a wire is primarily a danger, and only after the damage.
- Punish reasonably - Puppies up to six months to effectively "wag" at the withers, not strongly, not persistently, without fanaticism. Caught the bandit at the case, take him by the crease at the withers, squeeze the skin a little and strictly say "It is impossible!". For young and adult dogs, this procedure is humiliating and should not be used! A ward who knows the team is punished by keeping him in one place. At the command "Place" or "Lie / Sit", leave the dog in one place for 3-5 minutes. When trying to leave the specified place, we strictly say: “You are punished” and return the dog. Since punishment involves learning, try not to get annoyed or raise your tone. It is not necessary to punish an adult dog, it is enough to ignore it, showing a demonstrative resentment.
- Change toys regularly - Puppies and young dogs hate monotony, that is, the same toy will quickly get bored and the ward will switch to the objects surrounding it. Seize the toy that has become boring, replace it with another, not necessarily new. It is enough to hide the old toy in an inaccessible place and after 3-4 days, the puppy will perceive it as a new one.
- Weaning a dog to bite furniture is pretty simpleif using special sprays. The products are safe (after drying) for people, but contain synthetic peppers. Having tried the tasteful leg of the sofa, the ward is unlikely to dare to repeat the “meal”. The spray must be used until the habit is completely eradicated, approximately within 2 weeks.
- In the home of a modern person there is always a technique, from which it is impossible to mount wires into the walls. For example: a cord from a laptop or washing machine, chargers, headphones and other accessories. It is also not reasonable to spray all objects with pepper spray for at least long and inconveniently. You can wean a dog from biting wires with folk remedies, such as lemon. Citrus fruits have a too pungent smell to smell the pet, and the four-legged one will not like the taste. Garlic, black (not red) pepper, strongly smelling spices, essential oils (citrus, tea tree) are “stinkers” that will make the dog shudder at the thought of playing forbidden objects.
- Fresh repair and a dog biting everything - A stormy mixture that can infuriate even the most restrained owner. You can try to wean the dog from biting the wallpaper with the help of sprays and folk remedies, but make sure that the liquids do not leave stains on the walls. Before spraying the walls, try to wean the dog by noise. Small metal objects (nuts, washers, bolts) are poured into an empty plastic container. After filling half of the container, close it well, for example, with cardboard and tape. As soon as the ward comes closer to the wallpaper and sniffs them - shake your rattle, you can throw it in the direction of the ward (not a dog!). If caudate is susceptible to irritants, the cause is not vitamin deficiency or boredom - this method will certainly help.
- Wean the dog nibble shoes - Probably the most difficult task, especially if the puppy was allowed to play with old slippers. Try all the methods, starting with the most humane, ending with pepper spray. Did not help? Well, there is another way, requiring endurance and understanding that education sometimes leads to victims. A ward is awaited, and as soon as he gets down to business, they are punished with a gum blow. The effect of hitting a regular fabric gum, stretched and clicked on the body (not in the face), is very unpleasant.
Note! Touchy, impressionable and suspicious dogs are not recommended to punish with their own hands. As an alternative, you can use the stun collar, which is controlled by the remote control and hits the dog with a weak discharge of current.