Pets suffer from diseases just like people do. And one of the most common is dandruff. To help your pets, you should find out the causes and treatment of dandruff in cats.
This will help the animal lead a full life, and their owners - enjoy the well-being of a full member of their family.
- What is dandruff? How she looks like? And how to determine that the problem has affected your pet?
- What are the causes of dandruff in a cat? Is it possible to change something as soon as a disease is detected? When you plan to take the animal to the house, what conditions need to be created in which the cat will be comfortable and not be in danger of his health?
- What is the danger of dandruff? What are the consequences of this disease if untreated? Does it matter how much the cat suffers?
- What needs to be done from the start? Why consult a doctor? What procedures will the pet go through? Are there any treatment options?
- How can you make sure that the disease does not return? What are the preventive measures to combat relapse? Is it possible to say goodbye to the problem forever?
Let's look at all these 5 points in more detail. We will try to answer all questions so that each owner understands what is happening with his ward, and can provide the necessary assistance to the pet.
What is dandruff
Both in humans and in animals, skin cells gradually die off, being replaced by new ones. What happens to the "old"? They die and fall. Their size is too small for us to notice these flakes.. This, when it comes to a healthy, normally functioning body. But, if there are any deviations from the norm in the health of the animal, dandruff occurs in the cat.
Sometimes, due to the fact that the sebaceous secretion begins to be produced intensively, these scales stick together and the owner begins to notice dandruff in the cat. Her a lot. But most flaked flakes on the backalong the ridge of a sick pet. Just pushing the pet’s fur, you can find that there are small particles on it and on the body.
Not only the "snow" that falls from the pussies causes concern to the pet and its owner, but also constant itching. The skin is irritated by the appearance of sebaceous plaques due to clogging of pores. In addition, the cat tries to comb the body with sharp claws. And with this, she inflicts additional wounds on herself.
Interestingly, the color of dandruff can be different:
- in black.
Even one animal can have different colors. What is the reason for this diversity? Since all this is exfoliated from the body, the color of these small particles of old skin repeats its pigmentation. And therefore, dandruff of three colors will stand out from a tricolor cat that has this unpleasant disease.
Dandruff is not only unpleasant, and unnecessary efforts to clean up the animals, but also an indicator that your pet is seriously ill.
It appears as a sign that unpleasant changes are occurring in his body for a number of reasons. What kind? Let's figure it out.
What causes profuse peeling of skin in cats
What can cause dandruff? Unfortunately, there are a lot of reasons. And therefore it is useful to know them in order to prevent problems or remove them in time.
Why dandruff appears:
- Obese cats are not able to take care of themselves fully. And this affects their appearance and health.
- Dry air in the room where the animal often spends time. This affects the fact that the cat's skin dries up, becomes rougher, as a result of which dandruff begins to occur.
- Diseases that cause metabolic problems.
- Change in the hormonal background of the animal.
- Stress. Moreover, even a slight excitement can lead to hair loss and dermatitis.
- Skin parasites. They irritate the skin with their bites. And the cat, by combing fleas, inflicts even larger wounds on itself, causing skin problems that lead to dandruff.
- Taking medication. Suppose a cat is sick to help her, the owner gives the medicine. And they have an adverse reaction that contributes to overdrying of the skin or leads to a malfunction in the production of hormones. And this treatment is the cause of dandruff.
- Allergy. Purrs are very sensitive to household chemicals or the constituent components of those feeds that are included in their diet.
- Improper care products. Some shampoos can dry out the skin or, on the contrary, do not completely wash off the dirt.
- Inappropriate feed. If the pet does not receive useful vitamins and minerals, this will certainly affect its health.
- Worms. They can lead to vitamin deficiency or to dehydration.
- Skin diseases. The resulting lichen or dermatitis causes itching; wounds appear on the body.
Of course, there are many reasons, and it’s impossible to name everything. Each case of the disease must be considered as separate. Then you can find the reason that led to the fact that the pet's body is strewn with dandruff. Having learned where the disease comes from, you can find a way to get rid of it.
What are the consequences of the disease
Dandruff, or, as it is also called, seborrhea, is not only unpleasant, but in itself is a serious health problem. In addition, it causes very terrible consequences, for example, the animal's hair falls out.
The baldness area is expanding so rapidly that the entire back, head, ears, tail can be exposed.
The appearance of dandruff is provoked by serious causes, for example, infection of the animal with a fungus, or metabolic problems. And therefore, if the disease proceeds quietly and imperceptibly, and the owners do not treat their pet, then the infection grows and takes on a more complex form. And the work of the digestive tract is aggravated so much that the cat begins to suffer.
But that's not all, unfortunately. Skin and internal parasites attack the poor body. Or, more serious forms of seborrhea may develop. The nature of dandruff may be localized., but, if the disease is left to chance, then not only on the back along the ridge, but also throughout the body, purulent rashes and wounds may appear.
Vitamins cannot be absorbed by the body, the animal loses its appetite, external signs become obvious. And there comes a time when there is no turning back. It will be impossible to cure the pet.
It is for this reason that it is worth taking a cat, even when everything can be fixed. But where to start?
Ways to get rid of the problem
In order to help the animal get rid of dandruff, an accurate diagnosis is needed. It will make it possible to identify one of the true reasons, and begin to act in the right direction in order to "hit" the target directly on the problem.
That is why, the first thing to do is to visit a veterinarian with your pet. Not only the examination will provide some data allowing the specialist to determine the effect and cause of the seborrhea purr, but also some other tests and analyzes. What can a doctor offer to get your pet:
- Blood test - general and biochemistry. This will help determine the type of disease and its pathogen.
- To take skin scrapings. Allows you to check the characteristic about the structure of the skin.
- Hormonal analysis. The general state of the body is recognized, and how much hormones influenced the appearance of the disease.
- Skin biopsywhen, together with the affected areas, the next ball of the skin is removed for the detailed detection of deviations.
- Culture inoculation. A method that checks for other skin diseases that could cause dandruff.
It will not be necessary to take all the tests. It is enough to find a reason to begin treatment. And when the cause becomes apparent, a course of therapeutic intervention will begin.
What is prescribed for the treatment of dandruff in cats:
- First of all, it is necessary to check whether care products are suitable for your pet and what does its diet include? If necessary, both care products and feed will be replaced with more suitable ones.
- The veterinarian will recommend the most suitable anti-dandruff shampoos.
- It may be necessary to combat parasites.
- Retinoids (Vitamin A). It will help in the fight against purulent and sebaceous abscesses.
- Nutritional supplements that include omega-3 fatty acids will be prescribed.
- Antibiotics as a treatment and prevention of dandruff in cats.
- Means for moisturizing the skin.
Each case requires a separate approach and treatment. But above are the most popular remedies in the fight against dandruff. But what else needs to be done so that the disease does not return?
What preventive measures are needed
Knowing what caused the previous case of dandruff, it is easy to find ways to prevent the animal from getting sick again. What can be done for preventive purposes:
- Make sure that the air in the apartment is sufficiently humidified;
- Do not forget that not every shampoo is suitable for your pet;
- Make sure that the cat does not start parasites;
- If the pet is facing a stressful situation, give him sedatives in advance;
- Take care that the animal does not have burns, neither sun nor from hot water from bathing;
- A reasonable diet should include vitamins, and prevent the cat from becoming obese;
- Bathe and comb your pet;
- Try to strengthen the immune system.
What is important for any of the causes of the appearance of the disease and so that it does not return? Drink plenty. It doesn’t matter if the dry food is consumed by your pet, or prepared by you personally, taking into account all the requirements for a healthy diet, but It is necessary to provide the animal with access to clean water around the clock. This will help to avoid many problems, including dandruff (of course, if we are not talking about congenital or gene pathologies).
Can one animal infect the rest? Maybe if the disease starts. Dandruff is not transmitted as the reasons for its appearance, which can provoke a similar situation with other cats. And so as not to bother dandruff in a cat, you need to try to contact a specialist as soon as possible.
How to choose care products?
Do not cost to put trials and experiments on your pet. It is enough to consult with a specialist who will help you figure out how and how to care for the cat. But sometimes the tool itself has nothing to do with it. You need to properly bathe the cat, choosing the right water temperature, distributing the shampoo well over the body of the animal and completely washing it off the hair.