Treatment of urolithiasis in cats is a very painstaking procedure. It is imperative that you consult a veterinary clinic for advice if you notice a deterioration in the condition of the pet.
Urolithiasis is also called urolithiasis or, in short, ICD. This is when the cat's bladder is filled with sand or stones form in his kidneys. Harmful substances linger in the ureter or pass with severe pain. With this disease, blood is observed in the cat's urine.
Of course, to accept such a fact is painfully difficult, but necessary. Therefore, many are wondering how to treat urolithiasis in cats. But first you need to figure out who is at risk.
- More cats are susceptible to urolithiasis than cats. Since cats have a narrow lumen of the urinary canal, and in female pets, on the contrary;
- Castrated pets;
- Overweight cats;
- Age category from 2 to 6 years.
It follows that 12% of cats are at risk for this disease. Disorders of the genitourinary system or poor metabolism entail the formation of stones and sand, which tetrapods do not easily tolerate.
Veterinarians have made numerous observations and claim that in early autumn and in the period from January to May, urolithiasis in cats is significantly exacerbated.
Why does urolithiasis occur?
Urolithiasis in cats is manifested for a number of reasons:
- Inappropriate climate. If the temperature in the house is exceeded, the urine becomes very saturated due to a decrease in the quality filtration of primary emptying.
- Nutrition. If the pet eats, for the most part, proteins, then urine becomes more concentrated. A lack of protein also leads to urolithiasis. Deficiency of vitamins in the body negatively affects the genitourinary system. Pet food should be kept in the golden mean to avoid numerous diseases.
- The chemical composition of the earth. Soil, air and water play an important role in every living organism. Especially water, because it is rich in lime salt. The accumulation of excess salts leads the cat to urolithiasis.
- Hormonal damage. Disruptions in the functioning of the thyroid gland lead to instability of calcium in the blood. What results in an increase in saturation of urine.
- Gastrointestinal tract. When the digestive system is disturbed, the cat develops colic and gastritis problems. These diseases contribute to the retention of calcium in the fluffy intestines. Therefore, urolithiasis is formed.
- Personal anatomy. Each creature is endowed with an inimitable structure of the genitourinary system. And some have an inhibition of urine.
- Inherited Addiction
- Virus or infection urinary tract.
Symptoms and signs of the manifestation of ICD
In the early days, the symptoms of urolithiasis in cats appear weakly and imperceptibly. Therefore, owners do not immediately notice the discomfort of their pets. Consequently, the treatment does not start on time.
There are some changes in the everyday existence of a cat:
- He often begins to lick under the tail;
- Urination occurs more frequently and for a long time;
- While visiting the toilet, the cat begins to meow, allegedly complaining of discomfort.
If a cat has an urolithiasis, then every day his condition will worsen. Stones and sand will increase, move, and subsequently a partial or complete closure of the passage will result. Here the symptoms will begin to manifest more clearly:
- Restless health and sudden changes in mood;
- Abdominal enlargement, but weight loss;
- The cat may incontinence, which leads to urination in the wrong places;
- Blood clots will be visible in urine.
And there are also critical signs when a cat needs emergency treatment:
- He completely stops going to the toilet;
- He eats nothing, but he is overtaken by vomiting;
- Convulsions occur;
- The cat loses consciousness.
Remember that treatment of ICD in cats at home is strictly prohibited! If the first signs are noticed, you should immediately seek help from a qualified veterinarian.
They will carry out special procedures that will help to identify urolithiasis or its absence. For example:
- Ultrasound of the bladder;
- Urine test;
- Normal or contrast x-ray;
- Instant invasion;
- In isolated cases, palpation is performed.
Some owners, in order to identify urolithiasis, are engaged in self-diagnosis. Fill a plastic cup with cat urine and put in a bright place to see if a precipitate forms or not. But this is an unreliable analysis. Because precipitate is formed on the basis of natural exposure. Therefore, using the "grandmother's method" does not make any sense. High-quality treatment is needed.
Methods of treating urolithiasis
When the owner notices the primary signs of the development of the disease, before going to the veterinarian, he can relieve cramping and prevent a severe attack from happening. You will need to put a slightly heated heating pad in the abdomen and perineum of the pet.
But massaging the fluffy stomach is not recommended, as the health of the four-legged can worsen. Which will lead to complications.
We must not forget that cats do not tolerate urolithiasis. And if you tighten the trip to the clinic for treatment, then the pet may die within three days.
There are some rules by which treatment is performed:
- The acute phase is stopped;
- The outflow of urination is restored. A catheter removes stones or sand. In rare cases, an operation is performed;
- Droppers are prescribed to relieve intoxication spasms and remove dehydration;
- Anti-inflammatory treatment;
- In the end, anti-infective drugs or vitamins are prescribed.
Plus, specialists can offer conservative or surgical treatment. But this will depend on the number and size of the stones.
Surgical treatment regimen urolithiasis is that the cat is under general anesthesia. This makes it possible to accurately remove stones. Therefore, and send them to tests that can identify the true factor of occurrence. Then you can avoid the reappearance.
Conservative treatment - Anesthesia and the desire to dissolve stones with a diet or medication. This method can be called gentle, but the probability of dissolution of the stones is kept at a low level.
The type of treatment is definitely prescribed by the veterinarian. After the diagnosis, he will determine the condition of the cat, the type and number of stones formed. Based on the evidence of these factors, treatment will proceed.
In the home environment, the owner must perfectly follow the recommendations of the attending specialist, in order to avoid deterioration and death. Most likely, antibiotics will be prescribed, a balanced diet and a second test will be prescribed.
When the cat’s urolithiasis subsides, the doctor will establish diet therapy and medical examination.
Drugs that help in the treatment of urolithiasis
It is worth remembering that a veterinarian prescribes medication. Often they use drugs such as:
- Capsules "Uro-ursi." Prescribed for antibiotic treatment. Contribute to getting rid of urolithiasis.
- Additive "Tsistokur forte". Reduces acid in the body and the cat recovers faster after treatment.
- Tablets Stop Cystitis. Act as an antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- The drug "Urotropin". It is a diuretic that promotes the rapid elimination of toxins.
- Fluinide fluid. Creates an immune film on the bladder.
- Solution and tablets "Kantaren". They relieve spasms and kill inflammation.
- Ipakitine powder. It is prescribed, without fail, in the treatment of urolithiasis.
- Infusion "Coterwin". Removes salts and dissolves stones.
- Renal Advance Powder. It is prescribed for the treatment of the last stages of urolithiasis. Plus, improves digestion.
- Pills "Nephrocat". Contain only natural ingredients that prevent urolithiasis.
- Tablets "Nitroxoline". Antimicrobial agent that eliminates urolithiasis.
- Pills "Cyston Himalaya"
This drug was created in India, therefore it is considered an Ayurvedic remedy with many advantages. It kills inflammation, is prescribed as a diuretic in the treatment of kidneys and much more.
Prevention of urolithiasis is a kind of goal leading to prevent, support treatment and eliminate the occurrence. Each owner of a four-legged friend is required to know several preventive actions, namely:
- The cat should drink plenty of purified water;
- Maintain the necessary weight;
- Balanced to eat;
- The gastrointestinal tract of the pet needs a full job;
- The apartment or house should have an optimum temperature.
Adhering to these concepts, life will be filled with positive emotions, and your beloved pet will not need treatment.
Diet for urolithiasis
Treatment of urolithiasis in cats is not complete without a proper diet. The diet should be based on the size of the stones, individually for each fluffy. Since everyone has specific needs and characteristics.
A balanced diet should be based on meat products. You can add vegetables, boiled or fresh. But so that they have little calcium and alkalis.
For quality treatment, veterinarians advise you to feed the cat with specially designed medicinal feeds. If the owners still prefer natural food, you must ensure that it is varied.
Besides, should in every possible way cause thirst in a cat. The liquid is used both for the prevention of ICD and for treatment. You need to regularly change the water in a bowl. Make sure that it is not near the feed. Or install a small fountain in the apartment, to which the pet will certainly show interest.
Urolithiasis is not a joke. It requires thorough treatment and respect for the cat. It is necessary to observe the pet and love it, and not leave it to the mercy of fate.