Cats just need to sharpen their claws. To do this, they choose different places, including the furniture of the owners. No pet lover will be happy with this phenomenon. Therefore, the question arises: "How to wean a cat to tear furniture?".
Reasons for this behavior
People often think about certain features of the behavior of their pets. One of these questions is: "Why is the cat pulling furniture and curtains?" Veterinarians identify the following reasons for this behavior:
- The struggle for territory. By this behavior, the animal wants to show that it is her home. Cats have glands on their paw pads that secrete sweat and leave a specific pet smell on furniture.
- Expression of emotions. Some experts believe that cats tear furniture, demonstrating their love for the owner. They try to show that they are also members of the family.
- Physiology. Most cats sharpen their claws because it is so inherent in nature. They often experience itching in the pads, burrs on the claws appear, and the muscles of the paws become weaker. With these violations, the pet is trying to cope with the help of a claw point.
It’s important for a person to understand one thing - nature cannot be altered, and if it succeeds, it will not do without harm to the cat. Therefore, you should not use only tough methods if the pet likes to tear furniture. It is best to devote more time and effort to try to direct the pet in the right direction.
The best way to wean a cat from tearing up a sofa is with a clawclaw. You can buy it at any pet store. There is a huge range of such designs. However, simply failing to buy and put a scratching post in front of the cat will fail. It will take effort to train to sharpen claws about it.
It is easiest to do this at an early age of the kitten. An adult pet is unlikely to want to change its habit, not understanding why it could have torn furniture before, and now you need to switch to a scratching post.
To accustom the animal to this device, you should put it in the very place where the cat scratches the furniture. Put his paws on the scratching post and show with movements that you need to sharpen the claws about it. This must be done several times so that the pet understands what they want from him.
Most cats do not want to get used to this design. In this case, you will have to try other methods.
This accessory has recently appeared on the shelves of pet stores, but many owners have already managed to use it. But reviews about them are not always the best. Anti-scratches help protect furniture from cat's claws. But you can use them only temporarily.
This is explained by the following:
- Because of the pads, the cat can’t climb on any surface, therefore, when falling from a height, she will not be able to stay.
- The substance with which the device is fixed to the claws can lead to an allergic reaction or blood poisoning in case of damage.
- The pet may feel sore because it will not be able to retract its claws, which is a natural process.
- The cat will lose the opportunity to itch. If he develops an itch, he may drive the pet crazy, he will begin to strip off the pads and may injure his paws.
- Anti-scratches knock on any surface, so the cat will not be able to move silently. This will interfere not only with herself, but also with the owners.
Thus, the use of linings is not the best solution. They can be used only if absolutely necessary and only temporarily.
Some people prefer radical methods if the cat is pulling a sofa. These include complete removal of the claws, cutting of the tendon, regular clipping of the claws. Such a solution is considered by the owners to be the best.
However, this is fundamentally the wrong opinion. In no case should you resort to such methods. They lead to the fact that the cat becomes disabled, its usefulness is violated. Ultimately, these methods cause poor posture, impaired coordination of movements, stress.
In the literal sense, it turns out that a man himself cripples a pet in order to protect furniture from cats. It is unlikely that all those who take such a step are aware of the possible consequences of the procedure.
There are several other ways that can help ensure that the cat does not tear furniture. Experts recommend the following:
- Cats hate citrus scent. This knowledge should be applied for personal purposes. To do this, you need to buy a body spray with the smell of grapefruit, lemon or orange in any beauty salon. Then sprinkle it in those places where the cat likes to sharpen its claws. The aroma of citrus will scare the pet away from furniture.
- You can also use spices. You will need to make a bag of material that is good for smell. Pour any seasoning with a strong aroma into it. Then just hang this bag in the place where the cat is pulling furniture.
- Everyone knows that cats hate swimming. This knowledge can also be used. You need to draw water into a bottle with a dispenser and constantly keep it next to the furniture. As soon as the pet decides to sharpen its claws, it is necessary to immediately spray it with water on its face.
- A homemade rattle can help well. Cats do not like loud sounds. Therefore, you can put several coins in a tin can and begin to rattle it strongly when the animal is about to scratch the furniture.
- In the same way, you can wean a cat with your voice.. With each attempt, the pet will claw its claws on the furniture, you need to shout loudly "You can not!" or scat!
It is worth noting that it is necessary to scold the animal immediately after it has committed a bad deed. If you do this in a few minutes, then there will be no effect. The cat must understand what exactly its owner is not happy with.
Every person who decides to acquire a kitten must immediately take all measures to educate him. The older the animal, the more difficult it will be to deal with his bad habits. Therefore, the responsibility for his behavior and the integrity of the surrounding objects lies entirely on the shoulders of the owner.