At some point, each owner of a purring pet begins to worry about whether it is possible to get worms from a cat. Most often, this topic becomes relevant when cats are often outside the home or the presence of parasites in the animal has already been confirmed. However, even those cats and cats that are not on the street, can be infected by worms and are their carriers. And some of these parasites are similar for a pet and a person.
How are cats infected with helminths?
Most cats are infected with internal parasites. Of course, stray animals have many times more. But pets often suffer from worms. The greatest chances that the animal may appear parasites occur when cats and cats go for a walk on the street. And since worms there are affected by water, earth and grass, they quickly fall on the coat and skin of the animal. And pets bring helminths into the body, licking their hair with their tongue.
Roundworm © shutterstock
But even the house is not protected from parasites. Without going outside, cats become infected with parasites in such ways:
- From carriers. They can be flies, fleas, small rodents, and even relatives;
- Through food. With insufficient heat treatment, parasites and their eggs remain viable. Therefore, raw or semi-raw meat and other products cannot be given to an animal.
Worms of kittens often occur through the milk of the mother, in the body of which parasites are present. However, they very quickly begin to suffer from helminths and rarely survive.
In the cat's body, many types of worms can parasitize. All of them bring enormous harm to the animal, but very few of them are able to live in the human body. The most common worms that infect feline organisms include:
- Nematodes, or roundworms. Includes feline toxocara and pinworms.
- Cestodes, or flatworms. This is a ribbon and various types of tapeworms.
- Trematodes, or flukes. Among this species, cat fluke is most often diagnosed.
- Echinococcus from the Cyclophyllid order.
Safe for humans are cat toxocars, tape, almost all tapeworms and hepatica. They are not able to parasitize in the human body. But in the body of a cat or cat, these worms affect the gastrointestinal tract, liver and nervous system of the animal. From this, pets often become aggressive and can harm the owner.
Dangerous for humans parasites
The answer to the question of whether a person can be infected with worms from a cat is affirmative. But there are very few parasites common to the animal and owner. Dangerous types of helminths include:
- Pinworms. A cat or cat can become infected with these worms while walking on the ground. Bringing eggs and parasites on wool and paws after a walk, animals carry them around the house, and lick them - swallow them. If there is a child in the house, it is very likely that he will become infected with pinworms. The reason for this is the lack of hygiene skills in children with frequent tactile contact with the animal. Pinworms, although they are the most harmless parasites for humans, but cause great discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract and can trigger insomnia and neurosis.
- Roundworm. Parasite eggs are found in the feces of an animal carrier. Walking on the street cats and cats collect worms on the wool. In this case, the owner can become infected with worms without washing his hands after contact with the animal or cleaning his toilet. Owners can also become infected with worms if the animal is sleeping next to it or has a habit of eating from the owner’s dishes. Roundworms in the human body produce powerful toxins and damage the intestinal wall. Often this leads to the attachment of a secondary infection.
- Cucumber tapeworm. The parasite settles and multiplies in the intestine. Most often, the main carriers of worms are not cats and cats, but fleas that live in their hair. Infection of the animal, as well as humans, occurs when a flea is swallowed, inside which the chains reached the stage of larvae. But when only eggs enter the body, infection with worms does not occur. Cucumber tapeworm provokes severe disturbances in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract in humans. This pathology is accompanied by pain in the stomach, vomiting and impaired appetite.
- Echinococcus. Cats and cats infect infrequently with these worms. However, it is they who carry the greatest danger, both for the animal and for man. Infestation of a pet occurs when eating raw, and poorly processed, meat, with parasite larvae. These helminths can be infected from cats and cats, neglecting the rules of hygiene. A large number of Echinococcus eggs is found not only in the pet's tray, but also on its coat. Worms affect the liver, which provokes stagnation of bile and blood in the body.
In the organisms of cats, there are also some microscopic intracellular parasites, which are very dangerous for humans. These are tocoplasmas and lamblia. Animals can infect them through unprocessed food and feces. Human invasion is possible if hygiene rules are not followed.
The main ways of infection
To get infected with worms from a cat or cat is usually not easy. Invasion from a pet is possible in such cases:
- Non-observance of personal hygiene. The concept includes the refusal to regularly and thoroughly wash hands after any contact with the pet, cleaning its toilet and berth, as well as feeding. However, in a house with animal worms, almost everything where a cat or a cat happens can be covered. Therefore, the owner must wash his hands before any meal, regardless of whether he touched the animal or not;
- The presence of contact of the human mucosa with the animal. Do not kiss the pet or let it lick your eyes and lips;
- Regular joint sleep, especially if the animal likes to be located next to the owner's face or relax on pillows.
In order to prevent infection with parasites, in addition to observing all the rules and hygiene rules, the owner of the cat or cat should be given anthelmintic preparations once every 4-6 months. At the same time, the owner himself, at the same time as the animal, is also recommended to take anthelmintic agents. And in case of detection of parasites, you should definitely consult a doctor to select the most effective treatment.