The dog has been living next to a person for thousands of years, following him everywhere. With the advent of cities, these animals adapted to live in urban environments. However, some breeds did not succeed. We will tell you which dog is best to get in an apartment.
Ideal dogs for kids
When choosing a pet, people often pay attention not to the size and length of the coat, but to its communicative abilities and the ability to get along with children. After all, dogs are often purchased specifically for younger members of the family.
In this case, various factors should be evaluated - housing size, presence or absence of allergies in the child, age. And of course, it is worth deciding who is needed - a guard or a doggie toy. But be that as it may, there are breeds that get along well with children and should be considered as a four-legged friend for a child:
- Golden Retriever - is an ideal companion dog, it is a cheerful and kind dog, flexible and easy to train.
- Basset Hound is a rather colorful breed, the representatives of which are optimistic, loudly barking bumps. One of the qualities of bassets is stubbornness, but at the same time they are immensely kind and faithful.
- Scottish shepherd dogs (collie and sheltie) - given their shepherd origin, it is easy to assume that they will protect their new "herd" perfectly, paying special attention to younger members. They are excellent, caring nannies, but it is worth considering that these dogs are quite “loud”.
- Welsh Corgi are also shepherd dogs, but of compact size; they are active, agile and always ready for games, in addition, they are very brave and able to defend their master.
For grown children, pets related to hunting breeds are great. Spaniels, fox terriers, beagles have an active, cheerful disposition, these are excellent companions for joint fun. Dogs of service breeds are ideally suited for adolescents - German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Giant Schnauzer, Doberman. These dogs need training and training, and their intelligence allows them to learn new skills without professionals. That is, even a child can train his pet.
It is not necessary to take puppies of decorative breeds in a family with kids. Firstly, careless handling of small animals can lead to injuries of the latter, and, in addition, their nervous system requires a calm atmosphere, which is almost impossible in the presence of small children. And most importantly - caring for a dog purchased for a child will still fall on the shoulders of the parents, it is advisable that they be prepared for this.
Pets with excellent character
If for a private house in most cases dogs with protective qualities and some aggression are bred, then for an apartment, as a rule, a companion dog is needed - friendly and sociable. However, other character traits, both the dog and the owner, should be considered.
Pets for sports and active leisure
In this case, in addition to the good nature, the animal must have genetic health, mobility and endurance. Representatives of the following breeds meet these requirements:
- Schnauzers (Riesen, Miniature and Mittel);
- Collie and Border Collie;
- all varieties of pinschers (which are large, that small dogs are very active);
- terriers (without the addition of dog blood for bullying);
- fox terriers.
The peculiarity of such breeds lies in the need for regular, active walking - with games and training. Otherwise, the dog can turn the house into ruins and do it not out of evil, but out of boredom.
If you need a calm, phlegmatic dog
Sometimes you need a dog that will accompany you on foot, do not react to possible hunting objects and do not show aggression to strangers and animals. In this case, it is better to have a dog of the following breeds:
- Chow Chow
- bulldog (French or Englishman);
- welsh corgi (pembroke and cardigan);
- Chinese crested dog.
These dogs are characterized by emotional stability and a strong psyche. Moreover, some large representatives of the above breeds are better suited for small housing than smaller but hyperactive dogs.
Active dogs for games and long walks
In the house with children, dogs get along well, able to play, run, participating in various funs. If parents are not against a small penny and can afford to spend 2-3 hours a day on pet walks, then it is worth paying attention to small hunting breeds:
- fox terriers;
- jack russell terriers;
- airedale terriers;
If near the house there is a park or playground where the dog can throw out excess energy, then you can get a puppy Labrador or poodle. Representatives of these breeds are playful and not dirty.
Often people need a companion who will be happy to lie next to the TV, while not displaying importunity and not requiring active games. To the "lazy" breeds include:
- Shih Tzu
- Neapolitan Mastiff;
- Lhasa Apso;
- Chinese Crested;
- basset hound.
But, despite laziness, it is still worth noting that any dog needs attention and care. In addition, the pet must be brought up, even the most phlegmatic.
Pet boy: the pros and cons
Having decided to acquire a four-legged friend and having decided on the breed, the future owners face another, no less important question - whether it will be a female or a male. Pets of both sexes have advantages and disadvantages, you just need to evaluate them and prioritize. If we talk about the positive aspects of dog dogs, then this includes the following:
- There are no leaks and their consequences in the form of unwanted offspring. During critical periods, the owner will not have to walk the pet with “dashes”, waving off the annoying gentlemen. In addition, it will not be necessary to wear special panties and other devices.
- If there is an active exhibition activity in the plans, then males are also preferable - you will not have to refuse to participate due to estrus, bearing or raising offspring or a recovery period. The same can be said about hunting and sports competitions.
- Males are larger and more colorful representatives of the breed.
As for the one who performs security and other functions better, here the opinions of specialists are ambiguous. But males also have their drawbacks, which are also worth considering when choosing:
- Males, in most cases, are loving and can abandon the owner when they see a flowing female. There are two solutions to the problem - to turn to specialists and train a pet well or to walk it exclusively on a leash (see how to train a leash).
- Males are distinguished by a more stubborn disposition and desire for dominance. This complicates their maintenance with other dogs of the same sex, and in addition, they need a master with leadership qualities. If you have a strong hand, then problems can be avoided.
- Males need longer walks and this is due to their physiological characteristics. Dogs do not empty the bladder immediately, but gradually, it will take at least 30 minutes, but the optimal time is 45 minutes.
- An unpleasant feature of males is that they mark their territory and can do it at home. In this case, castration is most effective, and there are also methods for correcting behavior.
- Males have a harsher odor than females.
- During the walks from males, you can expect an aggressive reaction to other males.
- To become an enviable male producer will have to work hard. Dogs with various champion titles possessing excellent standard qualities have advantages.
If the owner does not see the need to knit his pet, it is best to castrate the dog - this will improve behavior, reduce aggressiveness, and also reduce the likelihood of developing cancer and inflammation of the prostate.
Female Dog: Pros and Cons
Bitches also have their own characteristics and can be considered as a favorite of the family. They have quite a few positive qualities:
- Females are more calm and docile, they show great affection for the owner and home.
- It is believed that bitches have a more developed intellect and high emotionality, it is easier for them to explain what can be done at home and what is punishable.
- They are less aggressive.
- It is easier to use them for breeding - even one show rating allows you to do this.
- Walking with a darling may be short-lived, as females do their “affairs” much faster.
- Puppies are definitely a plus, despite the chores, this is a source of joy and good mood.
The disadvantages of keeping a bitch in an apartment include the following:
- The estrus is definitely a problem, especially if the female is not very clean. In addition, annoying gentlemen may appear at the door of the apartment, exciting the pet and annoying the owners. Naturally, during this period, the dog needs closer attention.
- Despite the less aggressive nature, bitches can conflict and even fight with their own kind, and their fights are more severe than those of males.
Another caveat - females have a more modest appearance. However, when you choose a four-legged friend - all these pluses and minuses recede into the background and already at first glance you can find out "your" pet.
Pets with the best coat
In this case, it is not the spectacle or beauty of the coat that is considered, but completely different qualities. Many people cannot decide to purchase a pet because of the hair, which can crumble, especially during molting, and also cause allergic reactions. But there are breeds for which molting is not peculiar, and they emit a low amount of allergens. Moreover, they may have a smart coat or not have it at all. The following breeds belong to this category of dogs:
- Maltese. A very charming little dog with a beautiful hair - snow-white and like silk. However, the pet does not leave it on carpets and furniture. In addition, the lapdog is playful, positive and very tender. This is a great apartment option.
- Tibetan Terrier. A rather rare breed in our country, whose representatives are similar to large toys - shaggy and funny. They are hypoallergenic and lose their coat, but need regular care, which can take a lot of time.
- Yorkie Yorkshire terriers are quite popular in Russia. These tiny cuties are ideal for an apartment, because they practically do not fade, take up little space and can go to the tray. But it is worth considering that they can be very wayward.
- Shih Tzu. Since the hair of representatives of this breed does not fall out on its own, it must be combed or sheared. For the rest, these chrysanthemum dogs are excellent companions, loving and very flexible.
- Portuguese water dog. This is a great option for lovers of unusual, rare breeds (this dog can be found in the Guinness Book of Records), and in addition, this dog is larger than previous representatives. But, it is worth noting that this is a hunting breed, not a decorative one, and because of its rarity, it is not so easy to buy it.
- Brussels Griffin. They are also called small Belgian dogs - pets with a funny face, making them look like monkeys. Not only do they not fade, but they are great companions for families with children.
- Poodle. These curly dogs, and all their varieties - toi, mini and standard are hypoallergenic, do not fade and have no specific smell. But the popularity of the breed is also influenced by their character - they are smart, smart, very dedicated and get along well with children and other animals.
- Bichon Frize. Funny dogs with the appearance of plush toys - they are cheerful, playful and very sociable. They communicate well with everyone, but do not tolerate loneliness and are not as smart as, for example, service dogs.
- Chinese Crested Dog. All representatives of the breed, both naked and puffs, almost do not fade. They are active, energetic, true companions and excellent family dogs. Minus - they do not tolerate temperature extremes and need their own wardrobe.
- Schnauzers. Representatives of all kinds do not fade, however, the schnauzers are large enough for an ordinary apartment. But the mittel and the miniature are quite suitable. But these dogs are very energetic, require long, active walks and can be very wayward.
This is not all breeds that are suitable for allergy sufferers, but many are quite rare. In any case, people who love dogs but have health problems always have a choice.
Dog relationship with other pets
Choosing a four-legged friend in the presence of other animals in the house is much more complicated. But if you approach this issue seriously, then a solution can be found, the main thing - you should take into account some subtleties:
- If the house already has rodents, birds, and other small animals, then the dog should not have the instinct for pursuit; in this case, you should not choose a hunting breed, but they can get along with cats and other dogs.
- Among breeds that are friendly to cats and other animals, hounds, cocker spaniels, Samoyeds, retrievers, bobtails, and Labradors can be noted.
- But Jack Russell Terriers, Pit Bull Terriers, Greyhounds, Cairn Terriers, Weimar Pointing Dogs, Rottweilers, Welsh Terriers, German Pinschers and Border Collies are best kept separately from cats.
Of course, the averaged data speak only of general characteristics. In practice, it’s rare, but there are situations when the pit bull is friends with the cat, and the spaniel does not chase the parrot ... But still, instincts often win.
A dog in an apartment - for some it seems unacceptable, however, most people cannot imagine their life without four-legged barking pets. With the right approach, you can choose not just a dog, but a real friend, a family member.